Welcome to Jumblies Event Calendar
- This event has passed.
Artfare Essentials – Hamilton Fringe
November 23 @ 8:00 am – December 4 @ 5:00 pm
Jumblies Theatre in partnership with Hamilton Fringe
November 23 to December 4, 2021
Online and Hybrid attendance options
Pay-What-You-Can-Afford, from $75 to $350 (+ HST and service charges)
What is it?
- An introduction to principles and practices of arts that engage with and create community;
- Many things you need to know to start your own community arts project;
- A gathering of artists and others interested in community-engaged arts;
- A mix of presentation, conversation, art-making, site visits and take-home resources;
- A time to consider and discuss the challenges and contradictions of this work;
- A chance to play and learn with others with shared questions and varied perspectives;
- An intensive, fun, thought-provoking, immersive experience.
Topics covered include:
- Definitions, terms, guiding principles;
- Project and workshop visioning and planning;
- Partnerships with arts and other sectors;
- Research: through art and stories;
- Facilitation: making art with people;
- Collaborating across differences;
- Navigating and engaging with conflicts and challenges;
- Roots, history and offshoots of Jumblies;
- Evaluation, documentation and legacy.
Facilitators: Ruth Howard and with Sharada Eswar from Jumblies, and guest facilitators to be announced.
Participants will receive a certificate of completion. This workshop is respected across Ontario and Canada as a qualification for community arts employment and funding. However, it does not claim to cover all areas and topics relevant to this work, and is just one piece in a learning path.
How can I participate?
In the interests of accessibility and personal comfort around sharing physical space together, this workshop series is offered in TWO formats: In Person/Online Hybrid and Online Only.Some sessions will be held on Zoom for all participants, some sessions will be offered both in person and online separately, and some sessions will integrate in person and online participant groups. In person participants must complete a COVID-19 screening and present proof of vaccination before entering the facility. All sessions are “live”––the workshop series is very interactive and participants should be prepared to be present for all sessions according to the schedule set out below. Participants are expected to attend all sessions (approximately 25 hours total). All dates and times are Eastern Standard Time (UTC/GMT -5 hours).
There will be readings and videos offered in between sessions followed by optional workshops available afterwards to round out or continue the experience.
Limited capacity. Art supplies will be provided—supplies will be mailed or are available for local pickup. If you reside outside of Hamilton, you must register at least one week in advance in order to receive your supplies on time. If you live locally, you can register up until 48 hours before the first meeting.
For more info, email: firstname.lastname@example.org