ONTARIO ARTS COUNCIL – RECOMMENDER GRANTS FOR THEATRE CREATORS 2017-18
Jumblies Theatre is pleased to take part once again in this Ontario Arts Council program.
Please see the OAC Guidelines.
Applications are invited from artists (individuals or collectives):
- who live anywhere in Ontario;
- of all ages, abilities and traditions;
- qualify as a professional artist according to OAC criteria;
- have a background in theatre or a related arts discipline with an specific interest in developing a theatre-related project;
- have a background or strong interest in community-engaged arts practice; and
- propose an eligible creation project at any stage of its development that can take place between January and December 2018.
Jumblies’ assessment criteria for Creative Reserve projects are:
Projects must have a core community-engaged arts component. By this we mean that the artistic process should:
- combine social and artistic goals and desires,
- be connected to a non-arts community partner, location, group or organization,
- involve participants from this group, as well as professional artists (as defined by the OAC) in developing and creating (and, at a later stage, presenting) the art.
Projects must be broadly construed as “theatrical” or performance-based.
- Hybridity of artistic disciplines, cultural forms and traditions; and
- Expansion of relationships between performer, participant, audience, space, sectors, disciplines, presentation and social context.
PROCESS AND TIME-LINE:
- until November 14 – respond to questions by e-mail, and accept applications;
- November 15 – application deadline (e-mail and on-line applications preferred*, but Nov. 15 post-marks accepted);
- By end of December meeting of review committee, final decisions and notifications;
- 2016 – applicants and OAC notified of recommendations and/or denials.
Applications are reviewed by a small committee of Jumblies staff, associate artists and/or board members.
*We will accept e-mailed applications and on-line support material, or a combination of hard copy and digital material, as long as all aspects of the proposal are submitted by the deadline.
APPLICATION & SUPPORT MATERIAL:
Along with the OAC form, we request the following from each applicant:
- an outline of the proposed work or work in-progress, including past and future stages;
- a description of its community-engagement process, partners and participants;
- a brief explanation of why this project is important to you;
- support material: a short audio/visual/ written sample of at least 1 past artistic project;
- a brief project budget; and
- a current CV (or CV’s and collective description if relevant).
If a written application in English poses a challenge, applicants may request alternate forms of application, which we can devise together (e.g. audio/video or in-person interview, translation (written or spoken).
Our total Creator’s Reserve allocation is $5,000. Requests can range from $1,000 to $3,000, and we will probably recommend two or three projects.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.