Artfare Essentials will be offered again in Toronto in Fall 2020 or possibly sooner. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on an mailing list. Variations of the workshop will also be offered in two Northern Ontario locations in 2020: Thunder Bay (with Mindful Makers) and Algoma (with Thinking Rock Community Arts).
What is it?
- An introduction to principles and practices of arts that engage with and create community;
- Many things you need to know to undertake your own community arts project;
- An orientation to potential work or apprenticeship with Jumblies and Offshoots;
- A gathering of diverse people interested in community-engaged arts;
- A mix of presentation, discussion, art-making, site visits and take-home resources;
- A time to consider and discuss the joys & challenges inherent in this work;
- An intensive, fun, thought-provoking, immersive 6-day experience.
- Definitions, terms, & guiding principles
- Project visioning and planning
- Partnerships (with arts and other sectors)
- Research (arts and oral history-based)
- Facilitation (making art with people)
- Bridging diverse cultures and traditions
- Collaborating across disciplines, forms and traditions
- Navigating conflicts and challenges
- History and legacies of Jumblies
- Evaluation, documentation, sustainability, legacy
Cost: $400 – This fee covers only a portion of the costs, and is kept low thanks to our funders. If you can afford it, we appreciate the support, which helps us to include others who can’t. Subsidized and sliding scale options are available through application form.
Support: Healthy snacks and some lunches are provided. For out of town participants, we can help find free or affordable accommodation. Translation, including ASL, and on-site childcare can be arranged. Our venues are wheel-chair accessible. If other supports and accommodations are needed, please let us know.
Process: Please fill in the online application form, and we will respond within a few days. We accept up to 24 eligible participants on a first-come-first-serve basis, including a quota of subsidized spots.
Feel free to contact us with any questions or requests for info and assistance (email@example.com).
Artist Exchange: Out-of-town Ontario participants can be supported to attend Artfare Essentials through our Community Arts Exchange program (funded by the Ontario Trillium Foundation). If interested in learning more about this program, please e-mail us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Certification: Participants will receive a certificate of completion from Jumblies. This workshop is respected across Canada as a qualification for community arts employment and funding. However, it does not claim to cover all areas and topics integral to this work, and is only one piece in a learning path or process.
This workshop can also be adapted for other Ontario and Canadian locations.
If you are interested in attending or in bringing a workshop to your community, please get in touch.
“[Artfare] Essentials taught me how to embrace new skills & the way I can collaborate with other artists. I came into the workshop in a frustrated state of mind, and I left feeling equipped & inspired, with many of my fears and anxieties dissolved.”
PDF Download Version 2018 (right click to save as)
Toronto Artfare Essentials 2018-19
Toronto Artfare Essentials 2017-18
Toronto Artfare Essentials 2016-17
Toronto Artfare Essentials 2015
“We were able to touch on oral history research, hands on application, group work, project development, evaluation, funding and more—a comprehensive intensive primer for developing community arts.”
Peel Artfare Essentials 2015
“I’d do this again in a heartbeat!”
Reports & Testimonials
To find out about the October 2012 Regina Artfare Essentials, .
Video of Regina Artfare Essentials, October 2012, watch.
Video of Artfare Essentials at Concordia University, watch here.
Video of Artfare Essentials in Sudbury with Myths and Mirrors, watch here.
Two articles about the 2009 Vancouver Arts For All Institute – .
Report on 2009 Vancouver Arts For All Institute, by Will Weigler – .
For the 2009 Vancouver Downtown Eastside Arts For All Institute Program, .